The Mission Project would like to thank the Westerman Foundation and the McGowan Foundation for making this project possible.

Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Bridging Apps - An Invaluable Resource

Click here: Bridging Apps - Bridging the gap between technology and people with disabilities

One of the biggest questions I get from families of children or adults with special needs in regards to using an iPad  is "How do I get started?" and that question is loaded because it means, "Where do I find apps?", "How do I set up the iPad?", "Where do I find funding?", "Where do I go to learn more?", etc. I can't say enough about Bridging Apps!  This is a WONDERFUL place to go to answer ALL of those questions. They have an app search tool, app reviews, video tutorials, AAC tutorials, and much, much more. I encourage anyone reading this to take some time to explore the Bridging Apps website and to tell others about it. I love their statement on the home page: "We believe that it is more important to focus on the person who will be using the technology, rather than the device itself. We assume that you are here because you want to improve a skill or creatively compensate for a deficit that may be preventing a person with a disability from maximizing their highest potential." Check it out!

Here are 2 videos from the website that we will be using for our families and participants:

Ipad Instruction
(I like this video but he is speaking to parents of children with special needs, not specifically the population I will be training, and he goes at a pace in his instruction that our participants likely will not be able to keep up with. I will show this as an introduction and then take our participants through the process with live demonstration.)

Setting up WiFi on the Ipad
(In our project, I am setting up the iPads using Apple Configurator profiles that contain wifi names and passwords from our individuals' apartments and our office so that our individuals do not have to set these up. However, there will be places they will go where they need wifi access that I have not previously set up. Familes and participants can follow these instructions.)

No comments: